Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Outstandingness of Balmain


One collection I have been waiting on the edge of my seat to see is Balmain. Balmain is me embodied in a clothing line. As Sarah Mower's commentary on Style.com says, "Sober, pared-down minimalism? Well, somebody has to kick against it...This season, [Christophe Decarnin has] gone Baroque 'n' roll, with a Balmain outing pitched somewhere between Prince's Purple Rain pomp and Louis XIV at Versailles. Gold, brocade, frock coats, Louis-heeled ribbon-laced boots, sequin and lamé dresses galore: Decarnin went for it." Unfortunately Balmain's highly elaborate pieces are notoriously expensive {upwards of $9000 for one jacket...um, yeah, so I own a total of zero} but my oh my are they fun to droll over!! One thing I am kind of excited about is Decarnin's promotion of the flared pant leg. He still displayed his fair share of skinny, ankle-hugging pants, and although very cool, they don't do anything to flatter most people's legs. Trousers that reach the toes of the shoe rather than stop at the ankle are very leg-lenthening, and I am certainly all about that :)

Balmain is great to me because it is not about the "staples" in your wardrobe. The line encourages risk-taking rather than going for the standard, classic, simple run-of-the-mill outfit. At the end of the day I always come back to the same thing - have fun with what you're wearing. Blindingly bright and reflective gold foil-esque slit to there evening dress with puffy 80s power shoulder pads that is so far from practical it's not even funny paired with military style combat boots - don't mind if I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails