Friday, May 6, 2011

Quick and Easy Heirloom Tomato Salad

Image courtesy of Williams-Sonoma

Cooking is not my forte. Actually let me back up a bit. Cooking healthy meals is not my forte. I can happily cook risotto, pasta, chocolate chip cookies and apple pie until the cows come home. But none of those are Paleo. Hmph. So when I find a recipe that I like - no, love - and especially a recipe that takes minimal time to whip up at that, I do a jig.

My favorite of these recipes as of late is one for an heirloom tomato salad that I found in a cookbook I have had since college: Williams-Sonoma Collection - Vegetable. It was a struggle for me to even buy the book in the first place since generally I get the shivers when I see something leafy and green {there are asparagus on the front. gag.} but I am thankful I did as now that I have matured {HA} and taken a liking to vegetables, this tomato salad recipe is at the top of my list and a great, and more importantly, easy dish to whip up tomorrow.

This is the official recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma:

6 to 8 very ripe heirloom tomatoes, in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors
1/4 to 1/2 t of sugar
2 green onions, 1/4 red onion or 1 shallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped {optional}
2 t inced fresh oregano, or to taste
Balsamic vinegar, to taste
Sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar, to taste
3 to 5 T extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse country bread for serving

Slice the tomatoes, capturing their juices in a bowl. Layer their tomatoes on a platter, sprinkiling them with the sugar, salt, green onions, garlic, oregano and the captured juices as you arrange them. Finish with a sprinkling each of balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar, then drizzle with olive oil. Let stand until ready to serve, or for up to 2 hours. Accompany with the bread for sopping up the juices. Serves 4.

Now, in my version I leave out the sugar {because poison is bad - I know, the truth hurts - and I always cut it out when I can}, the onions {because chopping anything other than the tomatoes takes too long and gives Squish time to decorate the sofa with crayons}, and the Sherry vinegar {because I always forget}. I also include avocado which I think makes a massive difference.

My photographs aren't nearly as nice as the W-S ones {I get my good camera back today so that will change soon!}, but this is a visual step by step guide below:

Start with some fresh tomatoes right off the vine. If you're after a really pretty presentation, definitely choose several colors as is suggested in the recipe.




I simply scoop out the avocado with a spoon. Quick and easy.

Love this Balsamic.
I throw on the salt, garlic {I actually used dried minced garlic this time}, and oregano first.

This is what happens when I turn my back, hence the reason for my eliminating of several steps!

Finished product. Messy and delicious.

Give it a try! I promise you won't be disappointed :)

xoxo Sheridan

1 comment:

  1. I make a very similar salad with tomatoes and avocado (great combination!)...LOVE your blog! Your clothing line is gorgeous and I admire all that you've accomplished at such a young age! I just started my own blog, check it out! http://placestogothingstobuy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails