Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Poem for the Children of Newtown, Connecticut



'Twas 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
When 20 beautiful children stormed through Heaven's gate.
Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air, 
They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.

They were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"Where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"This is Heaven" declared a small boy, "we're spending Christmas at God's house."

When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
But Jesus, their Savior, and the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same,
Then He opened His arms and He called them by name.

And in that moment was joy, that only Heaven can bring,
Those children all flew into the arms of their King.
And as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
One small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.

And as if He could read all the questions she had,
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of Mom and Dad."
Then He looked down on earth, the world far below,
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, the woe.

Then he closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"May this country be delivered from the hands of fools,"
"I am taking back my nation. I am taking back my schools!"

Then He and the children stood up without a sound,
"Come now my children, let me show you around."
Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran,
All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.

And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA




11 comments:

  1. What an amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend from kindegarten just called me to share this poem. P.S Kindagarten was some 55 years ago, but it still feels like yesterday! She said " I will hang up and I want you to read it alone. So I did..... How beautiful it is and thank you for giving me some comfort. Such an amazing poem. What an amazing poet. X

      Delete
    2. We heard this poem in our church in Holland. Everybody was silent and our toughts were with the parents in Newtown.
      What a poem! This is what we beleive, there will be a place where all is well and there will be no pain or sorow anymore.

      Delete
  2. My mom sent me the same poem this AM and it is just as POWERFUL now!!! So glad you share it and my heart is simply in pieces for the family, Sandy Hook Newtown community, and our country. Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing this poem, sheridan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheridan, this is a beautiful poem. Last night I laughed at something my little one said at the dinner table. One of the many privileges of being a parent is that for an all-too-brief time, we experience the joy of seeing the world through our children's eyes. As I observed a moment of silence this morning at 9:30 am, I reflected on that thought and my heart aches to think that those 20 families were robbed. Simply robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem must have been Holy Ghost inspired. I can only imagine their entrance into Heaven that way. Thank you God for revealing your glory thru this poem and poet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of us will never forget this horrific event these little angels are in the arms of our higher power. God bless all the parents that are having a hard time the world is in mourning. The poem says it all

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem is like no other I have ever heard I believe it is a inspired one because when I read it I could feel it from the heart The same God who promised to rebuild the land speaking through the prophet Jeremiah He is still THE SAME REDEEMER WHO SITS HIGH AND LOOKS LOW HE WILL NOT BE MOCKED inspite of what we see happening around us RIGHTOUS SHALL PREVAIL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails